Sunday 20 October 2013

Clean Eating

*sheepishly pokes head in*

'Sup guys.
You know how I promised that I would post about my job, like, the day after I announced it. Yea. I know. I suck. The good news is I have a more 'meaty' post you you today that you will thank me for and lavish me with flowers and chocolate. The last bit was optional but ya know, feel free to. Or whatever.

Anyways, MY NEW JOB GUYZZZZZ!!! OMG!!! LOL!!!11!!
I'm a little bit excited. The actual job itself its not that exciting. And I wouldn't call it a 'career'. But it will help to pay the bills and doesn't make me feel like I'm just lounging around the house being fanned with palm leaves while a tanned, muscly man feeds me peeled grapes. 


Basically, I now stack shelves at the supermarket. Its something that wont give me a massive head fuck (hello previous hospitality job) and its all at night which leaves my day free to do important things like walking the dogs, chores and what have you (I adore that expression, it needs to be said ALL THE TIME)
I have my work training session this week, as well as my two practical classes and online assignments so it might take a while for me to figure out a system on how I'm going to juggle that after being so long out of regular employment. I'm sure I'll be fine, but it will probably frustrate me that I can no longer work out whenever I feel like it or have a leisurely morning in bed (I know, so lazy, so privileged). 



I wanted to focus on today the concept of clean eating.



 Its something that has probably been around for longer than it seems, but with the help of social media such as Pinterest and Instagram it has really EXPLODED all of a sudden. It seems like everyone is eating 'clean' or 'raw' or 'vegan' or 'paleo'. And here's me just finishing half a bag of corn chips and salsa for lunch. 



What do I think of this concept? I think its great from a nutritional standpoint. People are more aware of what they are putting into their bodies, they're moving more, feeling great etc. Do I think its good to follow this strictly day to day? No. If you want to eat clean 7 days a week, 365 days a year then good for you. I'm jealous that you have found something that you love to do and its pretty damn good for you. Speaking from a mental point of view, I think that if I tried to follow a 'clean' diet every day then it would make me go insane. If you follow any regular clean eaters on Instagram you know what I'm talking about. They're the ones with the gorgeous, colorful meals and inspirational words. Meanwhile I've just polished off a bowl of ice cream (it happens more often than you would think).

 I think you can live this lifestyle every single day, but I tend to go by the 80:20 rule. If you're moving your body regularly and trying to include many fruits, veggies, lean proteins and grains into your diet then you can have that cheeseburger you've been craving. And I mean a REAL cheeseburger. Not one made out of flax seed and quiona. I'm talking ones that you can get in a drive through a-la McDonalds. Depriving yourself is not healthy. Its your body telling you that you need something, that you're lacking in something. 

Like I said before if eating clean 100% of the time makes you incredibly happy and healthy then I applaud your life choices. If you find that you have to continuously justify that glass of wine or serving of fries, then maybe you have to evaluate the choices you're making in regards to being healthy.

That's just my two cents and if anyone wants to chime in with their own opinions feel free-I would LOVE to hear them.

-Tahlia Sobko

No comments:

Post a Comment