Monday 2 September 2013

My typical day

Hello again!
Thanks for visiting, I hope you stay a while :)

So, the thing I love about my favorite bloggers is that they're a little personal. I like knowing little things about other people from their likes and dislikes to what they get up to on the weekends. I'm kind of a nosy person and have a habit of asking people a tonne of questions when I meet them. I can't help it!
So I thought I'd do a post on what I do on an average (read:boring) day. Not all days are exactly the same but it gives you an idea on how I spend my time.
Its important to note that up until the Saturday just gone, I had a casual job that had me working nights and weekends. I was a bartender and while it gave me the freedom to have the days to do what I wanted, I felt like I needed to move on onto different things. You'll find out why soon!

My day begins by being woken up at 6.30 am while my boyfriend noisily gets ready and leaves for his job. Yes, I still used to wake up at this time even when I worked up until 2 in the morning. Most of those days used to require an afternoon nap.

I then let my two dogs out for their business.

Gypsy is a six year old American Stafford-shire terrier. We got her as a 'gift' from my mother 'in law'. She was continuously eating their veggie garden. Poor Gypsy has some anxiety issues as she came from a family that we suspected used to beat her and abuse her (not my mother in law! her previous owner before that. Poor dog has had a few owners). Thankfully she has found her forever home with us and although she is a handful, excitable and sometimes naughty, she is the sweetest dog ever who loves kisses and cuddles.



Our latest dog is an almost one year old fox terrier x called Gemma. I got her for free from someone who was advertising that they were either going to get rid of her or put her down. Initially, I was just going to foster her until I could find her a home but she kinda hung around. Forever. She is a very independent and strong willed dog with the occasional uncontrollable urge to dig and has left a few craters in my garden. She also likes to nibble feet but I can't imagine life without her now. 



The dogs are let outside to say hello to the dog next door, aka, bark at it through the fence.Then I make myself a coffee and check my emails, Facebook, instagram, twitter...as you can tell I'm a social media addict. (My instagram is @tahlia_renne if anyone was interested in taking a look)

Next I do errands. E.g pay bills, clean the house, organised any appointments such as getting our cars serviced or visiting the physio or dentist (we recently got a very extensive health insurance plan and are trying to make the most of it). My boyfriend also has an inability to organize his own haircuts or doctor visits so that task also falls to me. Its not that he doesn't want to, his memory is like a sieve and by the time he remembers its 5pm and all the offices are shut. Still love him ;)

Next is workout time! I typically don't eat breakfast. I have never been one to be hungry in the morning (I blame a sluggish overnight metabolism!) So I typically just have a large glass of juice and my vitamins. I'm taking one for hair and nails, a multi vitamin and an extra vitamin C- I really do not want to catch a cold this year. I don't advocate that everyone not eat breakfast and I recommend to at least put something in your stomach to get your metabolism going in the morning.

My workout depends on what I'm feeling, what I've done the day before or how sore my muscles are! Sometimes its dedicated entirely to pilates. Sometimes I do a couple of HIIT-ilates videos from the Blogilates You Tube channel like this or this. HIIT-ilates are particularly effective workouts as it combines high intensity interval training and pilates, so you get a good calorie burn plus body weight toning in one workout. They usually leave me covered in sweat. Sometimes I'll just do one short HIIT video like this. Or sometimes I spend a whole hour just stretching. I listen to my body and try not to push it too much. And sometimes, I just don't feel like working out. That's OK as life is too short to beat yourself up about missing a workout. 
On most days I spend 45 minutes to one hour on a workout, including warm up, warm down and stretching at the start and finish. Sundays is my rest day.

At lunch time I make myself a big old salad. So sorry, so healthy, so boring. My boyfriend comes home for lunch too and I get to hang out with him while we eat. We're lucky that we live in a small town where its only a 5 minute drive to and from work for him. When I was working nights this time in the middle of the day was the only time i'd get to see him so I appreciated those moments. 

Next is dog walkie time! My babies love the beach more than anything and again, I'm lucky that its only a five minute walk down the road. I'm a bit spoiled for location here!



 Gypsy goes for the smells and disgusting things she can roll in and Gemma goes for the swimming. This usually results in bath-time for the girls after their walk which they don't really enjoy...


(This picture was from the dog wash which they don't go to every day. Mostly its a hose out in the yard)

At this point I should mention that the reason I live in a rural coastal town is I moved here to be with my boyfriend, who has lived here his whole life. I got tired of driving 2+ hours to see him and while I love living here with him it does get lonely without my friends and family. I try to keep in contact via Facebook, texts and calls, but nothing can compare to meeting up with someone for a coffee or a cheeky glass of wine. Fortunately the contract that my boyfriend has with his work runs out at the start of next year so a move is in the cards for the future!

When I was working I used to start at 5, so I would kill a couple of hours before work with some 'me time'. Sometimes I read a book. Or played 'tug-o-war' with the dogs and more often than I'd like to admit I'd have an afternoon nap. Sooooo Sleeeeeepyyyyy.....

While I was at work I'd snack on fresh fruit or mixed nuts. I'm not healthy all the time, sometimes I used to bring chocolate and jelly snakes. Now I'm not working I'll make dinner for myself and my boyfriend. Usually some sort of protein with carbs and veggies. Or my apparently 'famous' spaghetti bolognese (boyfriend loves it). If we're feeling slack we'll order a pizza or go out for something to eat. And dinner is usually accompanied by apple cider- a drink that we both adore. OK. I adore. The boyfriend occasionally helps me out by having some so I don't feel like an alcoholic.  

We'll watch TV for a couple of hours before bed. I like to stretch out my back on the fit ball to iron out any lingering tightness. We finally go to bed a bit late (12 am) but while we're both young and childless for the time being I think its OK. Sometimes we get so caught up in our conversation or get hooked on a TV show that we loose track of the time. 


Some of my exercise equipment.

So that's my 'day in the life' post. Its fairly boring, and sometimes I feel like I could be so much more OMGBUSY. Or learn something new like an instrument or a language. But right now I'm enjoying my time off and looking forward to my birthday which is in 2 days. I can't wait to see my friends and family- its going to be a good long weekend for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment