Tuesday 3 September 2013

Do you believe in Karma?

Hello! Its very hot here, so I've got some iced tea (summer fruit flavor by Lipton) and my feet up.


We actually have a pool too so I'll probably go for a dip when the heat isn't so harsh. I'm paranoid about excessive sun exposure, gotta love being in Australia!

Today started off a bit slower than normal. I stayed in bed until 9 am because I had a very crappy sleep last night. I don't think my body is ready for this sudden onset of hot weather we have been having. I've made the most of it so far though ;)


This cider is amazing. It tastes like apple juice but its alcoholic. So refreshing.

I had my much needed ginormous mug of coffee and then I did a couple of workouts. I did the summer slim down videos on the blogilates channel: part 1 and part 2, HIITilates my thighs are dying and the 100 burpee burnout. I know. I'm insane. Its crazy how much my fitness has progressed since when I first did the burpee burnout video a couple of months ago. I thought I was going to die my heart was racing so much and my clothes were SOAKED in sweat. Today it got me out of breath but I felt strong and, you know, not like I had to plan my funeral. 

So in my last post I mentioned that I left my job. I have the belief that if you are unhappy in any aspect of your life you should do something about it. I wasn't happy in my previous job at all. It was stressful, it was tiring and I never got to see my boyfriend at all, which made me very sad. I also missed my friends and family which made me feel very "down" for a couple of months. I wouldn't say I was depressed but I didn't feel like my usual happy self. My boyfriend also commented that my moods seemed less cheerful. I tried to hold out with my job, thinking that it would get easier and better to deal with over time but it didn't. It only got worse and more unbearable. All of a sudden, on a Friday night after a particularity hard shift I thought to myself "what are you doing?". I resigned the next day and my feelings were mixed. I felt extremely relieved, as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders (such a cliche), but I also felt nervous. I wondered whether I would get a job soon or if I would be stuck unemployed for weeks or months.

This is where the concept of Karma comes in. Karma is defined by the following: 

kar·ma

  [kahr-muh]  Show IPA
noun
1.
Hinduism, Buddhism. action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either inthis life or in a reincarnation: in Hinduism one of the means of reaching Brahman. Compare bhakti ( def 1 jnana.
2.
Theosophy. the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in oneincarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation.
3.
fate; destiny. predestination, predetermination, lot, kismet.
4.
the good or bad emanations felt to be generated by someone or something: Lets get out of here. Thisplace has bad karma.


In a nutshell, what you send out in the world will be sent back to you. If you are good, and kind and positive towards yourself and others, you will generally have a better life outlook and experience than someone who is not as nice!

When I quit my job, I was very nervous and scared. But I was also very optimistic about my future. I had a couple of days where I could relax and not worry about what was going to happen to me. I wasn't stressed. I could spend some quality time with my boyfriend and if I was ready, start updating my resume so I could hand it out to prospective employers.
Going into this situation with such a positive outlook has definitely helped in staying focused but also, to my great surprise, it helped my likelihood of finding a new job. As soon as I told people that I resigned I had a flood of help and job offers from people that were looking out for my well-being. My friends and family (and boyfriend) were very supportive of my decision and I feel like that I can do anything because there are people who 'have my back' when the going gets tough (so many cliches in this post!). That is truly the greatest feeling in the world!

The take home message from this post is if your'e unhappy do something about it. This is easier said than done but I speak from personal experience. Nothing was going to change for me in my life if I didn't take control and do something about it. Right away. I regret the time I spent at a place that gave me no enjoyment and made me very unhappy.
The second message is to think positive. I know that this is cheesier than those motivational images that you see floating around instagram and pinterest. I am naturally a slightly pessimistic person- sometimes I make mountains out of molehills. Thinking positive helped me stay calm in a situation where I know that my thoughts would get the better of me if I let them. Stay strong, keep smiling and know that there is always someone out there that will take care of you. 

These little faces also help me in staying positive:


Tomorrow is my birthday (happy birthday to me!), and I'll be heading to my home town to celebrate with my family and friends. I probably won't be posting in this time but I will be instagramming @tahlia_renee
I hope anyone reading has a fun weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment